April 21: Treasures in Heaven (Matt 6:19-24)
Matthew 6:19-24 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. (ESV)
Do you struggle with desiring possessions and imagining that through them your life will be more joyful? Does acquiring more wealth dominate much of your energy and thought? Do you think more passionately about money than God? Thankfully, Jesus gives divine wisdom regarding the relationship between earthly wealth and heavenly treasure in the life of the believer. Jesus seeks to lead us from materialism toward greater devotion to God. He warns us not to horde things, which is a nearly certain sign of what we worship. Rather, he calls us to worship God as our singular treasure, not diverting affections toward earthly wealth.
Review and Apply
- What gives you the greatest delight, joy, or security?
- How important are fame, promotions and financial comfort to you?
- How would you describe “heavenly treasure,” and what kind of attention does it receive in your life?
- What does Jesus mean when he says, “a healthy eye gives life to the body”?
- How does “a bad eye” (stinginess and hording) blind us to the values of God’s kingdom?
- Over the past year, would you say that you have given greater attention to serving God or acquiring wealth? Have you found yourself trying to reach a “safe balance” between God and money?
More in Blog
October 11, 2019October 13- A Heart for Missions (Romans 15:14-21)
October 3, 2019October 6- Welcoming Each Other in Christ (Romans 15:7-13)
October 3, 2019Fasting Together 2019: A Guide for October 2019