April 6: The Resurrection and The Life (John 11:1-53)
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (ESV)
Weeks before His death, burial, and resurrection, Jesus declared and proved himself to be “the resurrection and the life” by bringing Lazarus back from the dead. In this passage we see God carefully orchestrating each detail, even Lazarus’ death, to reveal more of God’s glory. As you again read through this familiar story, make note of the ways in which Jesus carefully ministers to the people with whom he comes into contact and how he ultimately asks: “Do you believe this?” . . . referring to the content of his 5th “I am” statement here in the gospel of John: “I am the resurrection and the life.” As Jesus asks this question, even to one of His followers, this is a question that we must ponder for ourselves: Are we trusting in this Savior...and is it a biblical faith going beyond the mere acceptance of facts?
- In what ways does Jesus’ purpose statement (“It is for the glory of God, so that...”) become a reality in this passage? How is the Son of God glorified throughout this narrative?
- Why do you think Jesus delayed his going to Lazarus when he clearly heard that he was ill? How might this affect the way in which you walk through trials?
- What does Jesus statement in 11:14 indicate about the nature of faith? Ponder the object of your own faith for a few moments. What threats to your faith are identifiable as you consider this past week?
- As you reflect on Jesus’ words in 11:25-26... “Do you believe this?” What difference has this belief made in your life? And what difference is it currently making in your life?
- As we see Jesus’ “interaction” with death throughout this story, in what ways should our hope be strengthened as we walk through death with family and friends and as we consider our own death?
More in Blog
February 27, 2020March 1 - Discovering Joy in God's Gifts - Ecclesiastes 5:8-6:9
February 21, 2020February 23 - Worshipping God Under the Sun - Ecclesiastes 5:1-7
February 14, 2020February 16 - A Better Way - Ecclesiastes 4:4-16