Benefits of Being a Mother Church
Tim Challies posted this list about a week ago. The list itself comes from a sidebar in J.D. Payne’s book Discovering Church Planting: An Introduction to the Whats, Whys, and Hows of Global Church Planting. (Check out Tim's post here.)
As we pray and look forward to the church plant in Rolesville, please keep your eyes open for the many ways that God will bring blessing not only to that work, but also to this church.
And now, for the list:
At least thirteen things (the “lucky thirteen”) happen within sponsoring churches when those churches become actively involved in planting new churches.
- Sponsoring keeps the church fresh and alive to its mission and vision and challenges the church’s faith.
- Sponsoring reminds the church of the challenge to pray for the lost.
- Sponsoring enables the church to welcome other people into the kingdom that it would not otherwise have assimilated.
- Sponsoring creates a climate open to birthing a variety of need-meeting groups within the sending church.
- Sponsoring provides evangelistic vitality and activity.
- Sponsoring encourages the discovery and development of new and latent leaders.
- Sponsoring encourages coaching, mentoring, and apprenticeship in ministry while providing a renewed understanding of how we are all part of a team effort.
- Sponsoring provides an occasion for church members to get to know missionaries personally.
- Sponsoring builds on the past and insures the future.
- Sponsoring minimizes the tendency toward a self-centered ministry.
- Sponsoring provides an education in missions and serves as a stimulus for young people’s dedication to Christian service.
- Sponsoring provides a visible proof that God is still working through people and that some are responding to his commission to go out and evangelize.
- Sponsoring provides a new opportunity for personal involvement in missions.
More in Blog
August 16, 2019August 18th, 2019- Thinking Rightly and Serving Gladly (Romans 12:3-8)
August 11, 2019August 11, 2019: True Worship (Romans 12:1-2)
August 9, 2019Fasting Together: A Guide for August 2019