December 27: Missions on the Edge of 2016 (Genesis 12:1-3)
There will be no Sunday School for adults or children this Sunday.
Now the LORD said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
This Sunday will be the first in a mini-series umpacking our church’s mission statement: “Christ Covenant Church exists to love God’s glory, so that we can love God’s people and go out in love to God’s world.” This Sunday we'll begin with the final piece of that statement, loving God's world. God intends for his people to be a blessing to the nations. This intention results from God's own purpose and activity, he has moved through Christ to bring about the possibility of blessing and forgiveness for all peoples. But although this blessing was established in Jesus, the promise of this blessing actually goes all the way back to God's promise to bless Abram, and to bless all nations through Abram. This promise in Genesis 12 is the beginning point of the history of redemption. As one author said, "The call of Abram is the beginning of God's answer to the evil of human hearts, the strife of nations, and the groaning brokenness of his whole creation. It is the beginning of the mission of God and the mission of God's people."
Review and Apply
1. What is missions? Explain the difference between mission and missions.
2. What does it mean to be "blessed"? What is your own vision of "the good life"?
3. What is the relationship between missions and the blessing of Genesis 12:1-3?
4. What opportunites has God given uniquely to you to be a blessing to those around you and to declare the gospel in the places he has put you?
5. What will you do in 2016 to contribute to our corporate attempts at loving and blessing God's world?
More in Blog
October 11, 2019October 13- A Heart for Missions (Romans 15:14-21)
October 3, 2019October 6- Welcoming Each Other in Christ (Romans 15:7-13)
October 3, 2019Fasting Together 2019: A Guide for October 2019