Fasting Together: A Guide for February 2019
Resources for fasting and praying for delight in God's word
Fasting Together 2019
Second Tuesday each month (February 12). Fast beginning after dinner on Monday (Feb 11), skip breakfast and lunch on Tuesday, then break the fast by eating dinner on Tuesday.
Read and Reflect
- “How to Delight in God’s Word” John Piper (365 words, less than 5 mins to read)
- “A Godly Man is a Lover of the Word” Thomas Watson (2600 words, 10-15 mins to read)
- Psalm 1:1-2
- Psalm 119:9-16, 18, 25, 28, 36, 103
- Luke 24:27-32
- Colossians 3:16
- Hebrews 4:12
- "Pray for new tastebuds on the tongue of your heart," John Piper (Ps 119:103)
- "While you pray, meditate on the benefits God promises to his people," John Piper (Ps 1:3-4)
- Pray that God would incline your heart to his testimonies (Ps 119:36). Ask God to show you what vain things your heart is drawn towards instead of the word.
- Pray that your delight in the word would result in greater understanding of who Christ is (Luke 24:27)
- Pray that your delight in the word would lead to purity of life (Ps 119:9) and greater obedience to all that you hear in the word (James 1:19-25). Ask God to show you areas of your life where you hear the word but are not obeying it.
- Pray that your delight in the word would result in your ability to share wisdom and counsel with others (Col 3:16)
- Husbands, pray that your delight in the word would result in greater care for your wife (Eph 5:25-26)
- Pray that moms and dads would delight in the word even as they teach it to their children (Eph 6:4)