Fasting Together: A Guide for July 2019
Resources for fasting and praying for humble service
Fasting Together 2019
- Second Tuesday each month (July 9). Fast beginning after dinner on Monday (July 8), skip breakfast and lunch on Tuesday, then break the fast by eating dinner on Tuesday
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer, John Piper
Read and Reflect
- Humble Service means imitating Christ by noticiting and meeting the needs of others in a spirit of love and humility. In the New Testament, service in the body of Christ is often related to the spiritual gifts. These are the gifts given by the Spirit to equip every believer for ministry as a member of the body. In Romans 12:3, Paul urges believers to humbly evaluate the gifts God has given to us, and then use our gifts to serve others within the body. As we serve in this way, consciously giving thanks for a Saviour who has served us and seeking to reflect him in our service, we both strengthen the body as well as bring glory to God.
- Mark 10:42-45
- Philippians 2:1-11
- Romans 12:3-8
- 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
- 1 Peter 4:7-11
- As you reflect on the service of Jesus (Mark 10:45 and Philippians 2:1-11), give thanks for a Savior who came to give himself up for us. Pray that we would regularly seek to emulate his example by sacrificially serving others in our body.
- As you reflect on the spiritual gifts that the Spirit has given to you and to each other member of this body (1 Corinthians 12:1-11), give thanks to God for kindness in distributing these gifts. Pray that we would exercise these gifts of ministry/service for the common good.
- Pray that we would demonstrate earnest love through the way that we serve one another so that God might be glorified in all of our ministry (1 Peter 4:7-11).
More in Blog
November 21, 2019November 24 - What is Christian Thanksgiving? (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
November 15, 2019November 17 - To God Be Glory Forever (Romans 16:21-27)
November 7, 2019November 10 - Final Warnings (Romans 16:17-20)