Fasting Together: A Guide for September 2020
Resources for fasting and praying for faithful witness
Fasting Together 2020
- Second Tuesday each month (September 8). Fast beginning after dinner on Monday (September 7), skip breakfast and lunch on Tuesday, then break the fast by eating dinner on Tuesday
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer, John Piper
Read and Reflect
- Faithful Witness. In Acts 1:8 Jesus says, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth." In this commission, Jesus gives three fixed descriptions of all who would follow Jesus. 1) They are empowered by the Holy Spirit. 2) They will be witnesses to the person and work of Jesus. 3) They will extend into the whole world. Collectively, the followers of Jesus are Spirit-empowered witnesses to all the world. We want to fast and pray that we would be faithful to this commission from Jesus.
- Connecting Evangelism and the Church, Jonathan Leeman
- Evangelism in the 21st Century, Tim Keller
- Matthew 9:35-38
- Acts 1:8; Acts 8:1-4
- Romans 10:11-15
- Ephesians 6:19
- Colossians 4:2-6
- Pray that the members of our church would be faithful witnesses through living lives of sacrificial love among our family, neighbors, coworkers, etc.
- Pray that the members of our church would be rich in good deeds, lending credibility to our sharing of the gospel news (Matt 5:16).
- Pray that the members of our church would faithfully witness to Jesus when there are open doors to declare the mystery of Christ (Col 4:3).
- Pray that as we faithfully witness, God would cause non-Christians with whom we share to be attentive to the gospel message (Acts 16:14), that they would repent of sin and believe in Jesus.