November 3: The Death of Death (Isaiah 25:1-12)
Worship Preparation - November 3 2013
Isaiah 25:1-12 (We will study the whole chapter, although only verses 6-9 are cited below)
On this mountain the Lord of hosts will make for all peoples
a feast of rich food, a feast of well-aged wine,
of rich food full of marrow, of aged wine well refined.
And he will swallow up on this mountain
the covering that is cast over all peoples,
the veil that is spread over all nations.
He will swallow up death forever;
and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces,
and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth,
for the Lord has spoken.
It will be said on that day,
“Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us.
This is the Lord; we have waited for him;
let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” (ESV)
You are invited to enjoy a great celebration with God himself. Isaiah 25:1-12 is a passage of great joy in celebrating God's power to convert his enemies, protect his people, and destroy death itself. Following chapter 24, where we read much of the judgment of God, Isaiah now looks to the day of the new heavens and the new earth with exaltation and great joy. Take a few minutes to consider with anticipation the incredible scene pictured in this banquet where we are worshipping God for his great and marvelous deeds done for us in Jesus. Do you not want to join this celebration? Seek God for faith to read and believe this glorious vision.
Review and Apply
- In what ways have you lived or thought differently about life since you read the chapter on God's judgment of the whole earth last week (chapter 24)?
- What do you see of God's sovereignty in this chapter?
- How does God protect his servants in midst of oppression in Isa 25:4-5?
- Why does the bible call death the final enemy? In what ways is death ruthless and merciless?
- How does God swallow up death forever (see 1 Cor 15.51-57)? What happens to us when we die?
- How does the Christian wait as described in vs.9? What distracts us and how can we live more focused lives waiting?
- What does God's power do the proud and arrogant? When will this happen?