November 9: Celebrating God's Grace at Christ Covenant
1 Corinthians 3:5-11
What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.
According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. (ESV)
May God be praised for his faithfulness to Christ Covenant for over 25 years. It is right and fitting to give God thanks for his mercy in gathering a people for his glory. In any celebration, while people are to be thanked and credited with loyalty, hard work and perseverance, God stands as the one who causes all things to grow. Paul shows us in very clear terms that the church grows by the grace of God built on the gospel of God. Thankfully for our sake, he uses us as servants but the real source of growth is God's grace and goodness. It is his intention to declare and display his glory through his church (Ephesians 3:11). He has done that through the ministries of Christ Covenant. Let us thank God for this grace and mercy to us in Jesus.
Review and Apply
- Describe the role and value of God's servants in building his church? How ought we to express our appreciation?
- What is the negative effect on the church of making "rock stars" of certain servants?
- How ought each servant to see his role in the building up of the church?
- What does it mean that "no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ"?
- How does the church grow out of the foundation of the gospel?
More in Blog
December 5, 2019December 8 - Jesus Comes as the King (Isaiah 9:1-7)
December 5, 2019Fasting Together 2019: A Guide for December 2019
November 27, 2019December 1 - Jesus Comes as the Savior (Isaiah 7:1-17)