Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
This past Sunday we looked at Matthew 13:1-23 where Jesus tells the parable of the various soils. This parable shows us three things.
1. The kingdom comes in an unexpected manner, Jesus was experiencing opposition and describing the kingdom in agricultural terms, far from the triumphalism the Jews expected.
2. The kingdom will come with absolute certainty. The seed of the gospel of the kingdom will most certainly bring about fruit for those who hear and receive it like good soil receiving seed.
3. How a person must enter the kingdom and flourish/thrive in the kingdom. A person enters the kingdom by receiving the gospel of the kingdom proclaimed by Jesus and submitting to his reign over mankind.
The question that remains for us is this: on the basis of how you're living, which sort of soil are you?
And if you see the rocky, thorny, hard soil in your life then ask the Lord to change your heart. Ask God to weed your garden and till the soil. In other words, ask that God would remove lesser loves and fill you with a greater love for him, an undivided heart.
Below are ten questions to help you in discerning what sort of soil your heart is exhibiting. These questions are taken from Donald Whitney's book Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health.
1. Do You Thirst For God? â€¨“So holy desire, exercised in longings, hungerings, and thirstings after God and holiness, is often mentioned in scripture as an important part of true religion.” Jonathan Edwards
2. Are You Governed Increasingly By God’s Word?â€¨ “The sum and substance of the preparation needed for a coming eternity is that you believe what the Bible tells you and do what the Bible bids you.” Thomas Chalmers
3. Are You More Loving? â€¨“The more a person loves the closer he approaches the image of God.” Martin Luther
4. Are You More Sensitive To God’s Presence?â€¨ “If the soul of the believer is in a healthy condition, he will take occasion to frequently come into God’s presence on purpose to have communion with Him.” A. W. Pink
5. Do You Have A Growing Concern For The Spiritual And Temporal Needs Of Others? â€¨“There is nothing in which men resemble God more truly than in doing good to others.” John Calvin
6. Do You Delight In The Bride Of Christ? â€¨“The closer you are to the Lord, the closer you will be to other believers.” Peter Jeffery
7. Are The Spiritual Disciplines Increasingly Important To You? “Without a disciplined life you will stagnant as a Christian.” Peter Jeffery
8. Do You Still Grieve Over Sin? â€¨“I am convinced that the first step towards attaining a higher standard of holiness is to realize more fully the amazing sinfulness of sin.” J. C. Ryle
9. Are You A Quicker Forgiver?â€¨ “The unforgiving spirit . . . is the number one killer of spiritual life.” James Coulter
10. Do You Yearn For Heaven And To Be With Jesus? “You may judge of a man by what he groans after.” Charles H. Spurgeon
More in Blog
September 20, 2019Book Review: The Disciple-Making Parent
September 19, 2019September 22- To Eat or Not To Eat: That is the Question (Romans 14:13-23)
September 13, 2019September 15- Agree to Disagree (Romans 14:1-12)